A list of fun things to do in our area
DON’T MISS THIS!
• Spaghetti dinner fundraiser for a local teen with medical needs, 6 p.m. Thursday at Sisk Memorial Baptist Church, 114 Spratt St., Fort Mill. Live music by the Hinson Girls and the Paul Scott Project. $10 for adults, $5 for kids 12 and younger. To learn more, find “Beats for Kinsey” on Facebook or go to beatsforkinsey.worldpress.com.
• Free Music & Movie night, 7 p.m. Friday at Walter Y. Elisha Park. The town of Fort Mill Parks and Recreation Department presents “Kung Fu Panda 2.” Free. Bring blankets or chairs. For more information, call 547-2273 or go to www.fortmillsc.gov.
• Exalt! Vocal Talent Showcase, Round two takes place 2 p.m. Sunday at Faith Assembly of God, 2800 Faith Blvd., Rock Hill. A $5 donation will be requested at the door. Proceeds from all Exalt! Events will benefit those with unexpected and catastrophic medical expenses who have little or no medical insurance. Motivations Ministries is a 501c3 charity.
• Cruise-in, 5 to 8 p.m. Saturday at Fort Mill BBQ Co., corner of Gold Hill Road and Hwy. 160 West (Stockbridge Commons), Fort Mill. Food and drink specials, free hot dogs and cookies for kids 10 and younger, door prizes and lots of cool cars.
• “Folktales from a Global Village,” a Blue Moon Puppets production, including the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra Guild’s Musical Petting Zoo presented by the Arts Council of York County at 5 p.m. Saturday at the Community Performance Center, 249 E. Main St., Rock Hill. When doors open at 4 p.m., audience members will be treated to the petting zoo where children will be able to make music with a hands-on introduction to instruments of the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra. At 5 p.m., the Blue Moon Puppets perform. Admission for the Blue Moon Puppets is $5 per person, only at the door. For more information, go to bluemoonpuppets.com, symphonyguildcharlotte.org/ or www.yorkcountyarts.org.
• Auditions, Carolina Voices, one of Charlotte’s largest volunteer choral arts organizations, will hold auditions for its three choirs: MainStage, Festival Singers, and Impromptu from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Aug. 18, 6:30 to 9 p.m. Aug. 21 and 6:30 to 9 p.m. Aug. 27, in Berry Hall at Myers Park Baptist Church, 1900 Queens Road, Charlotte. Go to www.carolinavoices.org/auditions or call 704-374-1564.
• Memory Lane Cruisers, Car Club is having a cruise in 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 30, in the K-Mart parking lot on North Main Street in Lancaster. All cars, trucks, motorcycles and tractors are welcome. There will be door prizes for those with vehicles registered, a 50/50 drawing, music and cornhole games. There is no cost for registration. Spectators welcome.
• Pageant, Sept. 9 Little Miss - Teen Miss Fort Mill & Tega Cay, a preliminary pageant for Little Miss – Teen Miss South Carolina. Open to girls ages 2-19 who are residents of South Carolina. For details and an application, email FtMillPageant@aol.com or stop by Elite Repeats Consignment & Boutique in the Walmart shopping center by Verizon in Tega Cay on Hwy. 160 West. Applications also available at www.FortMillPageant.com.
• Celebrate Van Wyck Day Festival, 7 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 8, at the Community Center at 5036 Old Hickory Road at the intersection of Hwy. 75/Rebound Road in Van Wyck . This event is family oriented with good clean fun, live entertainment, arts and crafts, business and travel show, train rides on the Van Wyck Express, pony rides, gem mining at the Van Wyck Mining Co. Lots of food and more. Vendors and those seeking more information can contact Ollie Bass at 803-286-9022 or 803-320-1099 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Proceeds generated will be used for special projects and operating expense of the Van Wyck Community Center.
• Cruise-in, 5 to 8 Saturday, Sept. 8, at Fort Mill BBQ Co., corner of Gold Hill Road and Hwy. 160 West (Stockbridge Commons), Fort Mill. Food and drink specials, free hot dogs and cookies for kids 10 and younger, door prizes and lots of cool cars.
• Pickles Da Clown’s seventh Birthday Extravaganza, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15, at The Pointe (behind Knights Stadium) 2266, Deerfield Drive, Fort Mill. Free (suggested donation $2 per person to support Children’s Attention Home of Rock Hill). Food vendors, more.
• Book Clubs for Adults, at the Fort Mill Library. Join other book lovers for a monthly discussion of some great books. Choose the group that best meets your schedule and interests. Call 803-547-4114 to register.
• The Ballroom Dance Club, meets monthly at the Fort Mill Golf Club. For more information, email email@example.com, call 803-324-2356 or go to www.theballroomdanceclub.com.
• Once Upon a Lap, Stories, songs, activities and play time for infants and their caregivers will be held at 10 a.m. Mondays for pre-walkers (up to 12 months old) and at 11 a.m. for walkers (13 to 24 months old). Call 803-547-4114 to register.
• Carolina Pilates, offers free Pilates mat classes on the second Saturday of every month at 9 a.m. Space is limited. To reserve a spot, call Terry at 548-8775.
• Yoga classes, at Complete Wellness Chiropractic 6:45 p.m. Thursdays at the Complete Wellness Chiropractic Office as part of the Charlotte Yoga Club. Cost is $5 for club members and $7 for nonmembers. Call 704-899-5000.