A list of fun things to do in our area
• Huge yard sale fundraiser, to benefit Tega Cay Neighbors Helping Neighbors 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at Ziggy’s Grille House and Storett of Tega Cay on Gold Hill Road. For information about renting a table for only $12.50 ($25 for business and craft tables), call 803-818-8880.
• BBQ/bake & yard sale, 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 Hwy. 160 West, Fort Mill. BBQ meals, including coleslaw, baked beans, roll and tea or lemonade will be sold from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. for $8 (adult plate) and $4 (child’s plate). Soft drinks and desserts will be available for purchase as well as pork by the pound ($12).
• Cat crazy, The Animal Adoption League (www.mynextpet.com) will be holding a special series of cat adoption events in the Tega Cay area every Saturday from 2-5pm. These events will be held at their temporary "cat house" located in the Crossroads Shopping Center located at the intersection of Hwy 160 and Gold Hill Road, directly behind Bojangles. Just look for the little white and blue building with the AAL van parked in front.
• Additionally, AAL will be showing cats at Chirp ’n Chatter, also in Crossroads Plaza, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily through September.
• Memory Lane Cruisers, Car Club is having a cruise in 6 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 30, in the K-Mart parking lot on North Main Street in Lancaster. All cars, trucks, motorcycles and tractors are welcome. There will be door prizes for those with vehicles registered, a 50/50 drawing, music and cornhole games. There is no cost for registration. Spectators welcome.
• Learn how to save money, using coupons, 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 8, at the Fort Mill Library in Baxter. Local grocery managers will be there to tell you how to maximize savings. Free.
• Celebrate Van Wyck Day Festival, 7 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 8, at the Community Center at 5036 Old Hickory Road at the intersection of Hwy. 75/Rebound Road in Van Wyck . This event is family oriented with good clean fun, live entertainment, arts and crafts, business and travel show, train rides on the Van Wyck Express, pony rides, gem mining at the Van Wyck Mining Co. Lots of food and more. Vendors and those seeking more information can contact Ollie Bass at 803-286-9022 or 803-320-1099 or email@example.com. Proceeds generated will be used for special projects and operating expense of the Van Wyck Community Center.
• Cruise-in, 5 to 8 Saturday, Sept. 8, at Fort Mill BBQ Co., corner of Gold Hill Road and Hwy. 160 West (Stockbridge Commons), Fort Mill. Food and drink specials, free hot dogs and cookies for kids 10 and younger, door prizes and lots of cool cars.
• Pageant, Sept. 9 Little Miss - Teen Miss Fort Mill & Tega Cay, a preliminary pageant for Little Miss – Teen Miss South Carolina. Open to girls ages 2-19 who are residents of South Carolina. For details and an application, email FtMillPageant@aol.com or stop by Elite Repeats Consignment & Boutique in the Walmart shopping center by Verizon in Tega Cay on Hwy. 160 West. Applications also available at www.FortMillPageant.com.
• Pickles Da Clown’s seventh Birthday Extravaganza, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15, at The Pointe (behind Knights Stadium) 2266, Deerfield Drive, Fort Mill. Free (suggested donation $2.00 per person to support Children’s Attention Home of Rock Hill). Food vendors, more.
• Sandlapper Parrothead Club Low Country Shrimp Boil, fundraiser for the High Five Club 6:30 to 11 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15, at Checkers 1685 Katy Lane in Tega Cay (just off Hwy. 160 West). Live music, hot dogs and more all to benefit the High Five Club, an active program for young adults with special needs and abilities on the campus of the Adult Enrichment Center of Fort Mill. For more information, contact Debbie Iliano at Beezer@comporium.net or 547-0742.
• Charity Golf Tournament, to benefit the Humane Society of York County Saturday, Sept. 22, at the Tega Cay Golf Club. Register at http://www.humanesocietyofyorkcounty.org/events/charity-golf-tournament.
• Exalt! Vocal Talent Showcase, 3 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 23, presented by Motivations Ministries at the Halton Theater in Charlotte. Proceeds used to help people with unexpected and catastrophic medical bills. For tickets, call 704-330-6534 or go to http://tix.cpcc.edu.
• Saturday, Sept 29th ~ 2012 DogGone Good Time Festival (Elisha Park in FM) - Register TODAY! Sponsors and Vendors are welcome. Registration forms can be found ONLINE. http://www.humanesocietyofyorkcounty.org/events/3rd-annual-dog-gone-good-time-festival
• Cruise-in, 5 to 8 Saturday, Oct. 13, at Fort Mill BBQ Co., corner of Gold Hill Road and Hwy. 160 West (Stockbridge Commons), Fort Mill. Food and drink specials, free hot dogs and cookies for kids 10 and younger, door prizes and lots of cool cars.
• The Fort Mill VFW is serving breakfast, 8-11 a.m. the second Sunday of each month. Breakfast includes pancakes, bacon, sausage and coffee for $6 and is open to the public. The VFW is located at 1442 Harris Road, Fort Mill. For information, call 803-547-5480 or go to www.vfw9138.org.
• Salsa Night, begins 7 p.m. Fridays at Sayago’s on Market Street in Baxter Village, Fort Mill. Music, food and more.
• Rent a kayak, at the Anne Springs Close Greenway to take out on 28-acre Lake Haigler. $7 for a one-person kayak, $10 for a tandem kayak for 30 minutes. To reserve, call 803-548-7252.
• A Kids Book Club, for ages 7-12 includes puppet shows, library games and activities at the Lancaster Public Library, 5-5:45 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays. For details, call 803-285-1502.
• Preschool Story Time and activities, for 3- to 5-year-olds and their caregivers will be held on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m. or Wednesdays at 10 and 11 a.m. No registration is required.
• Book Clubs for Adults, at the Fort Mill Library. Join other book lovers for a monthly discussion of some great books. Choose the group that best meets your schedule and interests. Call 803-547-4114 to register.
• The Ballroom Dance Club, meets monthly at the Fort Mill Golf Club. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org, call 803-324-2356 or go to www.theballroomdanceclub.com
• Once Upon a Lap, Stories, songs, activities and play time for infants and their caregivers will be held at 10 a.m. Mondays at 10 a.m. for pre-walkers (up to 12 months old) and at 11 a.m. for walkers (13 to 24 months old). Call 803-547-4114 to register.
• Carolina Pilates, offers free Pilates mat classes on the second Saturday of every month at 9 a.m. Space is limited. To reserve a spot, call Terry at 548-8775.
• Yoga classes, at Complete Wellness Chiropractic 6:45 p.m. Thursdays at the Complete Wellness Chiropractic Office as part of the Charlotte Yoga Club. Cost is $5 for club members and $7 for non-members. Call 704-899-5000.
• Summer reading, for adults is encouraged at the Fort Mill Public Library. After reading or listening to three books, adults will be entered into drawings for prizes from local businesses. For details, visit www.yclibrary.org or call the library at 803-547-4114.
• Teen Summer Reading Club, for rising sixth-12th graders. The club has an arts theme, “Express Yourself at your Library.” After reading a total of 15 hours, teens will be eligible to enter drawings for prizes from Woody’s Music, GameStop, Best Buy and more. For details, visit www.yclibrary.org or call 803-547-4114.
• Bingo, good eats, at Fort Mill American Legion Post 43. Call 803-547-2414.
• Preschool story time, 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. Wednesdays at the Fort Mill Public Library. Story time and activities for 3- to 5 year-olds and their caregivers.