A list of fun things to do in our area
DON’T MISS THIS!
• Celebrate Martin Luther King Day, with the town of Fort Mill’s annual program. It begins 11 a.m. Monday at Town Hall. See story on 3B.
• Beginner Watercolor Art Classes, begin 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Fort Mill YMCA. for ages 16 and older. Learn the basics of properly using watercolors. To register or for more information, call 548-8020.
• Auditions for Carolina Voices, 5 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, and 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 22, in Shalom Hall at Myers Park Baptist Church, 1900 Queens Road, Charlotte. Singers who wish to try out are encouraged to visit carolinavoices.org/auditions to find more information about what is expected at auditions and as a member of Carolina Voices. Appointments required. Sign up online or call 704-374-1564.
• Comedy Improv Musical Variety Extravaganza, “The Mayans Were Wrong, So Let’s Party” 8 p.m. Saturday, Jan. 19, presented by Charlotte improvisational theatre group, the Chuckleheads at The Dilworth Neighborhood Grille, 911 East Morehead St.. Tickets are $10 when purchased at planetimprov.com by calling 704-301-1564 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org, or $15 at the door.
• The Tints That Glow exhibit, now-Feb. 17, Dalton Gallery at the Center for the Arts, 121 E. Main St., Rock Hill. Using Lord Byron’s poem “She Walks in Beauty” as a backbone, Caroline Rust’s exhibit embodies installations of paintings and objects in a multifaceted examination of the feminine world. Showing concurrently to this exhibit are works by Allison Tierney in the Perimeter Gallery, and Batik by Jessica Calloway’s students from Fort Mill High School in the Edmund Lewandowski Classroom Gallery. 803-328-2787; yorkcountyarts.org; carolinerust.com.
• Carolina’s Largest Baby Shower, Noon-7 p.m. Monday, Jan. 21, at Palmetto Pregnancy Center in Fort Mill. Palmetto Pregnancy Center and New Life 91.9 will be celebrating mothers and babies, with information on programs and resources for parents.
• Beginner Sewing Classes, 9 a.m. Monday, Jan. 21, at the Fort Mill YMCA. Learn the basics of sewing, including how to properly handle a needle and thread, scissors, rulers, seam ripper, hemming a pair of pants, and learning the parts of a sewing machine. To register or for more information, call 548-8020
• NarroWay Auditions, 6 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 22, at the NarroWay Theatre in Fort Mill. Open auditions will be held for “Lord of Light,” “The Fourth Cross,” and “Not Just Another Love Story.” Dance auditions will be held in groups, and vocal and dramatic auditions will take place individually. For more information, visit www.narroway.net, and to schedule an audition call 803-802-2300.
• Come say “fare thee well,” to Fort Mill Town Manager David Hudspeth at a drop-in 4-6 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 23, at the Spratt Building on lower Main Street, Fort Mill.