A list of fun things to do in our area
DON’T MISS THIS!
Miss Nation Ford Pageant, 7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 9, in the NFHS auditorium. Sponsored by FBLA, this year’s theme is based on the March of Dimes’ “Purple Out” and “Save the Babies” campaigns. All are welcome. $5 at the door.
• Sassy With STEM, begins Tuesday at the Fort Mill YMCA. Designed for girls in grades five to eight, learn the principles of science and technology. Topics include Earth, animals, technology, water, biology, chemistry, and space. Projects include developing their own perfume and exploring how candy is made. To register, call 548-8020.
• Open bluegrass jam, Jam 7-9:30 p.m. Thursday at the Van Wyck Community Center, 5036 Old Hickory Road. Free food, but donations accepted. For more information, contact Ollie Bass at 803-320-1099 or email@example.com.
• Spaghetti dinner, to Support Fort Mill Middle School sports and PTO 5 p.m. Friday at Unity Presbyterian Church Fellowship Hall. $9 per plate or $35 for a family (up to six dinners). Dine in or to go.
• Celebrate the grand reopening, of the newly expanded PAWSibilities Thrift Shop, 2144 Carolina Place Hwy., Fort Mill 10 a.m.5 p.m. Feb. 8-9. Door prizes, refreshments and more.
• The Fort Mill VFW is serving breakfast, 8-11 a.m. the Sunday. For $6 you get pancakes, bacon, sausage and coffee. Open to the public. The VFW is located at 1442 Harris Road, Fort Mill. For information, call 547-5480 or go to www.vfw9138.org.
• A Crape Myrtle pruning demonstration, by County Extension Agent Paul Thompson, will be offered 2:30 p.m. Saturday, at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 Hwy. 160 West, Fort Mill.
• Underexposed Film Series, 7:30 p.m. Saturday. “And Then There Were None” will be screened at the Community Performance Center, 249 E. Main St., Rock Hill. Tickets are $6. Call 803-328-2787, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or go to yorkcountyarts.org.
• The Tints That Glow exhibit, through Feb. 17, Dalton Gallery at the Center for the Arts, 121 E. Main St., Rock Hill. Caroline Rust’s exhibit embodies installations of paintings and objects in a multifaceted examination of the feminine world. Showing concurrently are works by Allison Tierney in the Perimeter Gallery, and Batik by Jessica Calloway’s students from Fort Mill High School in the Edmund Lewandowski Classroom Gallery. Call 803-328-2787 or go to yorkcountyarts.org or carolinerust.com.
• A free workshop on investing, will begin at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12, at the York County Library on Black Street in Rock Hill. “Investing with Confidence” will be conducted by Matt Griffin, financial consultant at Family Trust Investment Services. Register in advance at familytrust.org/knowyourdough or call James Sheedy at 326-2187.
• Night of fun for kids, while Mom and Dad spend a quiet evening together 6-10 p.m. Thursday and Friday, Feb. 14-15 at Higher Ground Church, 8365 Possum Hollow Road, Indian Land. Firestarters Youth Group and their leaders invite children ages 3 to 12 for a night of fun, food, stories, movies, games, hot dogs and more. Call 802-3189 by Feb. 7 to register.
• Safe Boating Course, The Catawba Sail and Power Squadron will offer a free America’s Boating Course 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 16, at 911 Driving on Hwy. 160 West, Fort Mill. The one-day class will conclude with an exam that earns participants a certificate to qualify for insurance discounts and legal requirements. Students are recommended to have a manual prior to the class, which costs $30 and can be obtained by contacting Jim Van Blarcom at 548-5362 or email@example.com.
• Bowl for the fur-friends, 12:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 16, at Striker’s in Rock Hill. A Humane Society of York County fundraiser. Register at humanesocietyofyorkcounty.org.
• Fort Mill’s Second Annual Dancing with the Stars, is Feb. 23 at the Tega Cay Glennon Center. tickets are $100 and $50. Dinner, drinks and a head-to-head dance competition. All proceeds benefit middle school sports in Fort Mill. Tickets available at www.fortmillathletics.com
• Ballroom dance classes, 7-9 p.m. Tuesdays through April 30, Lake Wylie YMCA, 4036 Charlotte Hwy. Dances include Rumba, Cha Cha, Mumbo, Salsa, Waltz, Foxtrot, Merengue, Bolero, Tango and Shag. You do not have to be a member of the Y to join. Cost is $10 per person per night. 803-831-1888.
• A Kids Book Club, for ages 7-12 and includes puppet shows, library games and activities at the Lancaster Public Library, 5-5:45 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays. For details, call 285-1502.
• Preschool Story Time and activities, for 3- to 5-year-olds and their caregivers will be held on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m. or Wednesdays at 10 and 11 a.m. at the Del Web Library in Indian Land. No registration is required.
• Bingo, good eats, at Fort Mill American Legion Post 43. Call 547-2414.
• Preschool story time, 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. Wednesdays at the Fort Mill Public Library. Story time and activities for 3- to 5-year-olds and their caregivers.