A list of fun things to do in our area
DON’T MISS THIS!
Get some stew, The Fort Mill Lions Club will be hosting the annual Lions Stew 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at St. John’s Methodist Church on Tom Hall Street. The cost is $7 a quart.
• Safe Boating Course, The Catawba Sail and Power Squadron will offer a free America’s Boating Course 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday at 911 Driving on Hwy. 160 West, Fort Mill. The one-day class will conclude with an exam that earns participants a certificate to qualify for insurance discounts and legal requirements. Students are recommended to have a manual prior to the class, which costs $30 and can be obtained by contacting Jim Van Blarcom at 548-5362 or email@example.com.
• Bowl for the fur-friends, 12:30 p.m. Saturday at Striker’s in Rock Hill. A Humane Society of York County fundraiser. Register at humanesocietyofyorkcounty.org.
• The Tints That Glow exhibit, through Feb. 17, Dalton Gallery at the Center for the Arts, 121 E. Main St., Rock Hill. Caroline Rust’s exhibit embodies installations of paintings and objects in a multifaceted examination of the feminine world. Showing concurrently are works by Allison Tierney in the Perimeter Gallery, and Batik by Jessica Calloway’s students from Fort Mill High School in the Edmund Lewandowski Classroom Gallery. Call 803-328-2787 or go to yorkcountyarts.org or carolinerust.com.
• The Fort Mill Community Playhouse, 615 Banks St., opens “Hallelujah Girls” 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21 for a two-week run. Patrons will enjoy an enhanced theater experience with new riser seating. Tickets are $15 for adults and $13 for students and those over 65. Go to fortmillplayhouse.org or call 548-8102. Tickets can also be purchased at Crossings on Main with cash or check.
• Cheer and Dance Expo, 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 21, at Springfield Middle School. All four Fort Mill middle school cheer and dance teams will participate. Also showcased are competition squads from the Cheer Jewels, and the Fort Mill High School and FAFOHS dance teams. Tickets are $5 at the door.
• A Mediterranean Dining Experience, 6 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 23, at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 W. Hwy 160, Fort Mill. Tickets are $17.50. All proceeds will benefit the youth group’s ministry with Thornwell Home for Children. To reserve a spot, contact the church at firstname.lastname@example.org or 548-0800.
• Fort Mill’s Second Annual Dancing with the Stars, is Feb. 23 at the Tega Cay Glennon Center. tickets are $100 and $50. Dinner, drinks and a head-to-head dance competition. All proceeds benefit middle school sports in Fort Mill. Tickets available at www.fortmillathletics.com.
• Projecting Hope Film Festival, three days of faith-based, family-friendly films March 8-10 at the Ayrsley Grand Cinemas. All shows are free. Go to projectinghopecharlotte.com for show times.
• Ballroom dance classes, 7-9 p.m. Tuesdays through April 30, Lake Wylie YMCA, 4036 Charlotte Hwy. Dances include Rumba, Cha Cha, Mumbo, Salsa, Waltz, Foxtrot, Merengue, Bolero, Tango and Shag. You do not have to be a member of the Y to join. Cost is $10 per person per night. 803-831-1888.
• The Fort Mill VFW is serving breakfast, 8-11 a.m. the second Sunday of each month. Breakfast costs $6 and includes pancakes, bacon, sausage and coffee and is open to the public. The VFW is located at 1442 Harris Road, Fort Mill. For information, call 547-5480 or go to www.vfw9138.org
• Rent a kayak, at the Anne Springs Close Greenway to take out on 28-acre Lake Haigler. $7 for a one-person kayak, $10 for a tandem kayak for 30 minutes. To reserve, call 548-7252.
• Bingo, good eats, at Fort Mill American Legion Post 43. Call 547-2414.