A list of fun things to do in our area
DONT MISS THIS!
• Free classical concert, for Faith Presbyterian Church 2 p.m. Sunday, March 10, at Unity Presbyterian Church in Fort Mill. The works of Antonio Vivaldi, J.S. Bach, Samuel Barber, Ray Steadman Allen, Cole Porter, Frances Poulenc, and many others will be featured, and donations will be accepted for the Faith Presbyterian Church building fund.
• Chili cook-off 2 p.m. Saturday at the Fort Mill Moose Lodge. All entries in by 1:30 p.m. Prizes will be awarded. Call the Lodge for more details at 547-4204 after 4 p.m.
• Projecting Hope Film Festival, three days of faith-based, family-friendly films March 8-10 at the Ayrsley Grand Cinemas. All shows are free. Go to projectinghopecharlotte.com for show times.
• Docent training, 10 a.m.-noon Saturday at the History Museum of Fort Mill, 310 N. White St. Call 802-3646 or email Info@FortMillHistoryMuseum.org.
• Flapjack Fundraiser to benefit Nation Ford High School Marine JROTC, 8-10 a.m. Saturday at Applebees on Dave Lyle Blvd. in Rock Hill. Tickets are $6 and include pancakes, scrambled eggs, sausage, and a beverage. All proceeds support the JROTC scholarship program. For more information or advanced tickets, call Mary Beth Pastore at 984-3111.
• The Fort Mill VFW is serving breakfast, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday. Breakfast costs $6 and includes eggs, pancakes, grit, bacon, sausage, fruit and coffee and is open to the public. The VFW is located at 1442 Harris Road, Fort Mill. For information, call 547-5480 or go to www.vfw9138.org.
• The Final Quest 5K will be held 9 a.m. Saturday in Regent Park, beginning at the Comenius School for Creative Leadership. Age group runners can register for $20 and virtual runners can register for $25; all registrants receive an event T-shirt. All proceeds benefit students at the Comenius School for Creative Leadership and their mission trips to the Philippines and Israel. For more information and to register, go to www.TheFinalQuest5K.com.
• Car and Bike Show, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at Knights Stadium. Classic cars, street rods, low riders, live music, food, a live auction, kids attractions and more. Admission free ($5 to park). Proceeds benefit Tega Cay Lions Club charities. For more information, go to carolinamotormadness.com or call 548-2201.
• The Catawba Master Naturalist Program, begins March 12 at the Anne Springs Close Greenway in Fort Mill. This is a 12-week program that includes field trips to various nature sites in the region. Classes are Tuesdays 9 a.m.-3 p.m. The cost is $600 and covers all materials and expenses. Registration required. Call 548-7255 or go to ascgreenway.org.
• Spring Bling Jewelry Party will be held 5:30 p.m. -8:30 p.m. Thursday, March 14, at the Fish Market in Baxter. An extensive collection and variety of jewelry will be sold, and all proceeds benefit the Humane Society of York County. Specialty drinks available.
• Beauty and The Beast, presented by Nation Ford High School 7:30 p.m. March 14-16 and 3 p.m. March 17. Tickets are $10 for adults and $8 for students ($5 for students for the matinee).
• Oyster Roast to benefit the Nation Ford High School Band Booster Club, 5 p.m. -8 p.m. Saturday, March 16, at the Anne Springs Close Greenway Field Trial Barn. Tickets are $30.
• Open House and dance, with live music, dessert tastings, demonstrations and more noon to 2 p.m. at United Artisans of America, 213 Main Street, Fort Mill. At 7 p.m. a St. Patricks Day Dance will be held including lessons. Donations will benefit art camp scholarships for local families. RSVP on the United Artisans Facebook page. Wear your green to the dance.
• Huge Yard Sale, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, March 22, and 9 a.m. -2 p.m. Saturday, March 23, at 7045 Chelsea Lane in Tega Cay. Household items, sporting goods, frames, golf clubs, furniture, books, toys, accessories, and clothing will all be sold. All proceeds benefit the Humane Society of York County.
• Easter Eggstravaganza, 1-4 p.m. Saturday, March 30, in Walter Elisha Park. Inflatables, face painting , egg hunt and music. Free. In case of inclement weather, the event will take place at The Point (Old Bobcats Training Facility) next to Knights Castle off Gold Hill Road. For more information, call 547-2273.
• Annual Hop for the Shot Photo Shoot, 9 a.m. -2 p.m. Saturday, April 6, at BowZee WowZee on Massey Street in Fort Mill. Professional pup photos will be taken for $20, $10 for each additional pup. Only cash and checks will be accepted and all proceeds benefit the Humane Society of York County. For more information, go to www.humanesocietyofyorkcounty.org.
• Cause for the Paws, 6 p.m. Thursday, April 25, at the Long Branch Club in Rock Hill. For adults 21 and over, pre-sold tickets are $2 each or $30 per couple, and include a one-day offer of half-price Long Branch membership, 2 wings from each restaurant, and 1 non-alcoholic beverage. Other activities during the evening include a Wing War, silent auction, music from local artists, drink specials, mechanical bull rides, and karaoke. For more information, go to www.humanesocietyofyorkcounty.org.
• Ballroom dance classes, 7-9 p.m. Tuesdays through April 30, Lake Wylie YMCA, 4036 Charlotte Hwy. Dances include Rumba, Cha Cha, Mumbo, Salsa, Waltz, Foxtrot, Merengue, Bolero, Tango and Shag. You do not have to be a member of the Y to join. Cost is $10 per person per night. 803-831-1888.
• Book Clubs for Adults, at the Fort Mill Library. Join other book lovers for a monthly discussion of some great books. Choose the group that best meets your schedule and interests. Call 547-4114 to register.
• The Ballroom Dance Club, meets monthly at the Fort Mill Golf Club. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
• Bingo, good eats, at Fort Mill American Legion Post 43. Call 547-2414.
• Preschool story time, 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. Wednesdays at the Fort Mill Public Library. Story time and activities for 3- to 5-year-olds and their caregivers.