A list of fun things to do in our area
DON’T MISS THIS!
• Oyster Roast to benefit the Nation Ford High School Band Booster Club, 5-8 p.m. Saturday, March 16, at the Anne Springs Close Greenway Field Trial Barn. Tickets are $30.
• Comet Viewing, Wednesday at 7:45 p.m., at 2460 Cross Point Drive in Rock Hill in the Academy Sports parking lot. For the first time in years, a comet will be close to the limit of visibility to the unaided eye from the Northern Hemisphere. The Carolina Skygazers astronomy club will be attempting to observe comet PanSTARRS. oTelescopes will be available to magnify the comet and other objects in the sky. March 17: The moon and Jupiter will be very close; March 23: Comet PanSTARRS will be highest above the horizon. If there are clouds, that night’s observation will be canceled.
• Spring Bling Jewelry Party will be 5:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday at the Fish Market in Baxter. An extensive collection and variety of jewelry will be sold, and all proceeds benefit the Humane Society of York County. Specialty drinks available.
• “Beauty and The Beast,” presented by Nation Ford High School 7:30 p.m. March 14-16 and 3 p.m. March 17. Tickets are $10 for adults and $8 for students ($5 for students for the matinee).
• Rock Hill Luncheon Literary Society presents Jamie Mason, 9:45 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday at Thursdays Too, 147 Herlong Ave., Rock Hill. Mason will sign her debut mystery novel, discuss her journey as a writer, and offer revision and publishing tips. To register and order a lunch, go to www.luncheonliterary.wordpress.com.
• Open House and dance, with live music, dessert tastings, demonstrations and more noon to 2 p.m. Saturday at United Artisans of America, 213 Main St., Fort Mill. At 7 p.m. a St. Patrick’s Day Dance will be held including lessons. Donations will benefit art camp scholarships for local families. RSVP on the United Artisans Facebook page. Wear your green to the dance.
• Huge Yard Sale, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Friday, March 22, and 9 a.m. -2 p.m. Saturday, March 23, at 7045 Chelsea Lane in Tega Cay. Household items, sporting goods, frames, golf clubs, furniture, books, toys, accessories, and clothing will all be sold. All proceeds benefit the Humane Society of York County.
• Easter Eggstravaganza, 1-4 p.m. Saturday, March 30, in Walter Elisha Park. Inflatables, face painting , egg hunt and music. Free. In case of inclement weather, the event will take place at The Point (Old Bobcats Training Facility) next to Knight’s Castle off Gold Hill Road. For more information, call 547-2273.
• Annual Hop for the Shot Photo Shoot, 9 a.m. -2 p.m. Saturday, April 6, at BowZee WowZee on Massey Street in Fort Mill. Professional pup photos will be taken for $20, $10 for each additional pup. Only cash and checks will be accepted and all proceeds benefit the Humane Society of York County. For more information, go to www.humanesocietyofyorkcounty.org.
• Italian Idol auditions, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. April 13, at the St. Philip Neri Parish Center, Munn road, Fort Mill. For more information, go to www.SPNitalianfestival.org.
• Cause for the Paws, 6 p.m. Thursday, April 25, at the Long Branch Club in Rock Hill. For adults 21 and over, pre-sold tickets are $2 each or $30 per couple, and include a one-day offer of half-price Long Branch membership, 2 wings from each restaurant, and 1 non-alcoholic beverage. Other activities during the evening include a Wing War, silent auction, music from local artists, drink specials, mechanical bull rides, and karaoke. For more information, go to www.humanesocietyofyorkcounty.org.
• Ballroom dance classes, 7-9 p.m. Tuesdays through April 30, Lake Wylie YMCA, 4036 Charlotte Hwy. Dances include Rumba, Cha Cha, Mumbo, Salsa, Waltz, Foxtrot, Merengue, Bolero, Tango and Shag. You do not have to be a member of the Y to join. Cost is $10 per person per night. 803-831-1888.
• The Fort Mill VFW is serving breakfast, 8 a.m to 1 p.m. the second Sunday of each month. Breakfast costs $6 and includes pancakes, bacon, sausage, fruit and coffee and is open to the public. The VFW is located at 1442 Harris Road, Fort Mill. For information, call 547-5480 or go to
• Rent a kayak, at the Anne Springs Close Greenway to take out on 28-acre Lake Haigler. $7 for a one-person kayak, $10 for a tandem kayak for 30 minutes. To reserve, call 548-7252.
• A Kids Book Club, for ages 7-12 and includes puppet shows, library games and activities at the Lancaster Public Library, 5-5:45 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays. For details, call 285-1502.
• Preschool Story Time and activities, for 3- to 5-year-olds and their caregivers will be held on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m. or Wednesdays at 10 and 11 a.m. at the Del Web Library in Indian Land. No registration is required.
• Book Clubs for Adults, at the Fort Mill Library. Join other book lovers for a monthly discussion of some great books. Choose the group that best meets your schedule and interests. Call 547-4114 to register.
• The Ballroom Dance Club, meets monthly at the Fort Mill Golf Club. For more information, email .
• Once Upon a Lap, Stories, songs, activities and play time for infants and their caregivers will be held at 10 a.m. Mondays at 10 a.m. for pre-walkers (up to 12 months old) and at 11 a.m. for walkers (13- to 24 months old) at Fort Mill Library. Call 547-4114 to register.
• Carolina Pilates, offers free Pilates mat classes on the second Saturday of every month at 9 a.m. Space is limited. To reserve a spot, call Terry at 548-8775.
• Yoga classes, at Complete Wellness Chiropractic 6:45 p.m. Thursdays at the Complete Wellness Chiropractic Office as part of the Charlotte Yoga Club. Cost is $5 for club members and $7 for non-members. Call 704-899-5000.
• Summer reading, for adults is encouraged at the Fort Mill Public Library. After reading or listening to three books, adults will be entered into drawings for prizes from local businesses. For details, visit www.yclibrary.org or call the library at 803-547-4114.
• Teen Summer Reading Club, for rising sixth-12th graders. The club has an arts theme, “Express Yourself at your Library.” After reading a total of 15 hours, teens will be eligible to enter drawings for prizes from Woody’s Music, GameStop, Best Buy and more. For details, visit www.yclibrary.org or call 803-547-4114.
• Bingo, good eats, at Fort Mill American Legion Post 43. Call 547-2414.
• Preschool story time, 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. Wednesdays at the Fort Mill Public Library. Story time and activities for 3- to 5-year-olds and their caregivers.