FORT MILL TOWNSHIP — One of the owners of the property where Kings Castle was built back in the Jim Bakker PTL era has applied for a permit to demolish the local landmark.
Local builder Earl Coulston of Regent Park developer Crown Homes submitted the application to the S.C. Dept. of Health and Environmental Control late Monday, an agency spokesperson said Wednesday. The iconic two-story King's Castle, once slated to become the area's largest Wendy's restaurant, is on the campus of MorningStar Ministry near Regent Park.
Another DHEC spokesman said on Monday that no one had applied for the permit and it was explained Wednesday that the permit was submitted close to the end of the day and did not show up in the agency's system until the following day.
Coulston began taking the Castle down last week, but York County officials halted the work, citing the lack of a permit.
DHEC spokesperson Lindsey Evans said if the permit is granted, the earliest demolition could resume is April 8.
For more details, click here.
For another previous story, click here.