A list of fun things to do in our area
DON’T MISS THIS!
• Have a drink and help raise money, for Tega Cay Trails, 5-10 p.m. Wednesday at Grapevine Wine Shop, 1012 Market St., Baxter Village, Fort Mill. Guest bartenders will raise donations through tips for a volunteer group that works to build and maintain the natural trails throughout Tega Cay, as well as raise awareness of connectivity and transportation issues, fitness and the environment. For more information, email email@example.com or go to tegacaytrails.com.
• Philadelphia United Methodist Church Family Night at Bruster’s, 6-8 p.m. Tuesday, April 9, at Bruster’s on Hwy. 160. Tips, donations, and a percentage of the sales will benefit the Philadelphia UMC Kenya Mission Trip.
• Springtime Evening of Art & Wine, charity art auction 6:15-7:15 p.m. Friday in the St. Philip Neri Parish Center, 292 Munn Road East, Fort Mill. Enjoy wine, hors d’oeuvres and soft drinks while viewing a fabulous collection of art for all taste and budgets. Admission is $5.
• Spring Fling, 3:30-4:30 p.m. Wednesday. Kids in kindergarten to second grade will enjoy crafts, stories and snacks at the Fort Mill Library. Call 803-547-4114 to register.
• The Evening Book Club, meets the second Wednesday of each month at 6:30 p.m. in the Fort Mill Library. The April 10 discussion is “The Picture of Dorian Gray” by Oscar Wilde.
• Softball Tournament Fundraiser, Friday and Saturday at the Complex on the Greenway. Men and women’s teams can register for $175. Proceeds go to the Philadelphia United Methodist Church Kenya Mission Trip. To register, contact Cindi Cahaly at 803-493-5440 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Italian Idol auditions, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at the St. Philip Neri Parish Center, Fort Mill. All are welcome to audition for this premier talent show. For more information, go to SPNitalianfestival.org.
• Bike/Classic Auto Poker Run, to benefit Operation Homefront 11 a.m. Saturday starting at the Fort Mill VFW. Cost is $15 a person/$25 a couple. After the run enjoy dinner and live music at the VFW. For more information, go to www.operationhomefront.net.
• Spring Horse Show, 9:30 a.m. Saturday at the Anne Springs Close Greenway. Compete in more than three dozen categories including English, Western, Bareback, Gaited and Games classes, with ribbons awarded to top-five finishers. Registration is $8 per horse per class. Barbecue and other refreshments will be available throughout the day. The event is free for spectators with paid daily admission to the Greenway. The riding ring is located at the Greenway’s Nature Center entrance off Hwy. 21 Bypass at Coltharp Road, Fort Mill. For information, call 548-7252 or go to ascgreenway.org.
• Greek Mythology, for kids in grades three to five 3:30-4:30 Wednesday, April 17. Hear stories about myths and mythological monsters. Call 547-4114 to register.
• The Fort Mill Community Playhouse, presents “Becky’s New Car” April 19-28. Shows are 7:30 Tickets are $15 for adults and $13 for students and those over 65. Tickets can be purchased at Crossings on Main with cash or check, or patrons can make reservations online by visiting the website at FortMillPlayhouse.org. Inquiries left at 548-8102 will be answered.
• Spring Fling, Saturday, April 20, a Mothers and Fathers Day event at PAWsibilities Thrift Shop, 4114 Carolina Place Drive, Fort Mill. Refreshments and door prizes.
• Underexposed Film Series presents “My Man Godfrey,” 7:30 p.m. Saturday, April 20, at the Community Performance Center on Main Street in Rock Hill. “My Man Godfrey,” a comedy and romance from 1936, will last 94 minutes and is rated G for all audiences. Tickets are $6 per person, and may be purchased online at yorkcountyarts.org, through the Arts Council’s box office at 803-328-2787, or at the door the night of the screening. Doors open at 7 p.m.
• Cause for the Paws, 6 p.m. Thursday, April 25, at the Long Branch Club in Rock Hill. For adults 21 and over, pre-sold tickets are $20 each or $30 per couple, and include a one-day offer of half-price Long Branch membership, two wings from each restaurant, and one non-alcoholic beverage. Other activities during the evening include a Wing War, silent auction, music from local artists, drink specials, mechanical bull rides, and karaoke. For more information, go to humanesocietyofyorkcounty.org.
• The Taste of Fort Mill, 7-11 p.m. Friday, April 26, at Springfield Golf course Pavilion. A premiere event highlighting the culinary diversity of local purveyors of food and wine for charity. Proceeds from the event support The Palmetto School, a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing a safe educational experience for vulnerable children. Rain or shine.
• Tips and Tricks for Attracting Bluebirds, Marion Davenport, owner of Chirp ‘n Chatter, will discuss how to attract bluebirds to your yard 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 23. Learn about Bluebird houses, diet, natural enemies and garden plants that attract Bluebirds. Call 547-4114 to register.
• Crooner Mitch Franco, performs 8 p.m. Friday, April 26, at the Sylvia Theater in York. Opening acts are Singers, Carson Hill, Anna Cibbarelli and Billy Patterson. Tickets are $10 and proceeds benefit the Make a Wish Foundation. For tickets, go to etix.com.
• Higher Ground Church American Bandstand, 7 p.m. Saturday, April 27, at Higher Ground Church in Fort Mill. Dinner will be served at 6 p.m., and the FireStarters youth performers will present songs from the 1970s and 1980s. Tickets for ages 12 and older are $12, and show-only tickets are $8. For more information and to order tickets, call 802-3189.
• Carnevale in Venice, dance with DJ John 7-10 p.m. Saturday, April 27, at the American Legion Hall, Post 43, 427 Banks Road Fort Mill. Sponsored by the Italian American Club of York County. Italian food and cash bar. Tickets are $20, call Kathy Schwandt at 802-8975 or Sal Durazzi at 803-746-7944.
• Ballroom dance classes, 7-9 p.m. Tuesdays through April 30, Lake Wylie YMCA, 4036 Charlotte Hwy. Dances include Rumba, Cha Cha, Mumbo, Salsa, Waltz, Foxtrot, Merengue, Bolero, Tango and Shag. Lead instructor is Jay Hussey, certified instructor from Fred Astaire. You do not have to be a member of the Y to join. Cost is $10 per person per night. 803-831-1888.
• Fort Mill VFW breakfast, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. the second Sunday of each month. Breakfast costs $6 and includes pancakes, bacon, sausage, fruit and coffee and is open to the public. The VFW is located at 1442 Harris Road, Fort Mill. For information, call 547-5480 or go to www.vfw9138.org.
• Rent a kayak, at the Anne Springs Close Greenway to take out on 28-acre Lake Haigler. $7 for a one-person kayak, $10 for a tandem kayak for 30 minutes. To reserve, call 548-7252.