Jackets fight for overtime soccer win

Herald correspondentMay 8, 2013 

Hunter Strickland controls the ball during Fort Mill's playoff g

Hunter Strickland controls the ball during Fort Mill's playoff game against Wade Hampton. The Jackets defeated the Generals 2-1 in two overtimes.

STEPHANIE MARKS MARTELL — Stephanie Marks Martell - Special to the Fort Mill Times

— For the Fort Mill boys, there is nothing like waiting to the last minute.

The fifth-ranked Fort Mill soccer team squeezed out a 2-1 win in two overtimes over Wade Hampton in the opening round of the 4A playoffs.

Fort Mill senior Brandon Runyan scored with seven minutes left in the second overtime on a corner kick that was deflected off Generals keeper Travis Prevatte to give the Yellow Jackets the game winner.

Jackets coach Lloyd Chalker had a stern look on his face after the game despite the win.

“We didn’t play well at all,” Chalker said. “We made a mistake that gave them a goal. We didn’t finish opportunities that came our way. It’s frustrating because I know the boys are better than that. We got work to do.”

Fort Mill will now take on the winner of the J.L. Mann-Gaffney game on Wednesday.

The Jackets struggled all game long to get anything going and didn’t score until the final minute of the game to tie the score at 1-1 to force overtime.

The Generals opened the second half controlling the ball more, the direct opposite of the first half, as the two teams exited the first half scoreless.

Fort Mill did get a free kick with about 35 minutes left in the game, but didn’t convert the opportunity. The Jackets also had a real good opportunity to score with about 28 minutes on a throw in, but lost the scramble in the box for the goal.

A more focused Generals team finally scored in the second half as a two-on-one double team of Jackets goalie Mason Jackson had him off balance as Generals junior Micah Klein knocked the ball in off a rebounded shot to put Wade Hampton up 1-0 with about 25 minutes left.

After the goal, Fort Mill started pressing matters and with the rain starting to pour, the Generals’ defense stepped up to pack the box and hold the Jackets at bay.

Fort Mill had several attempts to try and tie the game, but was unable to make anything happen until with under a minute left. It was then that Jackets’ junior Zach Lundy rocked the ball into the corner to tie the game at 1-1 just as everybody was preparing for the game to close.

Both teams went at each other pretty hard to open the game. Each team rattled off an early shot attempt and Fort Mill was able to thread the Generals defense easily.

Although they moved the ball with ease, Wade Hampton played aggressive and kept them from getting real good looks at open shots.

Fort Mill excelled at intercepting passes in the first half, which stalled any offense the Generals were trying to establish.

It took a while for each team to try and figure the other one out. Frustration started getting to both squads with about 15 minutes left in the first half as the refs started giving out yellow cards to both squads.

The Jackets had their opportunities in the first half getting several free kicks and direct looks at the goal, but couldn’t convert sending things into the locker room scoreless.

Fort Mill 2, Wade Hampton 1 (2OT)

Wade Hampton01001
Fort Mill01012

Second half

WH – Micah Klein, 55:39

FM – Zach Lundy, 79:00


FM – Brandon Runyan, 93:00

Shots on goal: Wade Hampton 9, Fort Mill 11

Saves: Travis Prevatte (WH) 9, Mason Jackson (FM) 8.

Corner kicks: Wade Hampton 0, Fort Mill 9.

Records: Wade Hampton 11-7-1, Fort Mill 23-3-0.

Fort Mill Times is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service