A list of fun things to do in our area
DON’T MISS THIS!
Have a blast, this Fourth of July across Fort Mill Township and around York County. See story on page 1A.
• Learn all about making jams and jellies and canning 10 a.m.-2 p.m. July 3-Aug. 2 at York County Extension Service, 120 N. Congress St., York. $30. Register at shopping.clemson.edu or call 803-684-9919.
• Fish fry, 4:30-7:30 p.m. July 4, hosted by the Tega Cay Lions at the Glennon Community Center. Choice of flounder or chicken with sides and sweet tea. Tickets are $10 for adults, $5 for children under 12. Proceeds benefit charitable causes including the Sight Conservation Association, Leader Dogs for the Blind and Fort Mill Care Center.
• Fireworks and bluegrass jam, Jam Night July 4, 7-9 p.m. at the Van Wyck Community Center.
• Independence Day celebrations, in Confederate Park, Fort Mill, and various locations across Tega Cay.
• Know Your Beneficial Insects, 11 a.m. Friday, at the Glencairn Garden Learning Center, 835 Edgemont Ave., Rock Hill. Clemson Extension Agent Paul Thompson will explain how to identify beneficial insects at July’s First Friday in the Garden program. Free.
• Indian Land reunion, 50 years of Indian Land alumni will converge on Indian Land Elementary School’s cafeteria Sunday for a reunion for all graduating classes between 1930 and 1980. The event includes a dish lunch, drinks and a short program, while much of the time is reserved for visiting fellow Indian Land alumni. The doors open at 10 a.m. and lunch will begin at 1 p.m.
• Live music, with the Hinson Girls 6 p.m. July 11, at the Anne Springs Close Greenway Dairy Barn, $3. Free for Greenway members. For more information, call 803-547-4575 or go to ASCGreenway.org.
• “The Contact Man,” Ken Dixon speaks 6-7:30 p.m. July 11 at the Fort Mill History Museum, 310 North White St., in the next installment of the Summer Lecture Series. $5 for guests, free for members. Go to fortmillhistorymuseum.org.
• “Into the Woods, Jr.” July 19-28 at Fort Mill Community Playhouse, 615 Banks Street. Tickets can be purchased at Crossings on Main, or reserved online and picked up at the door. For more information, go to fortmillplayhouse.org.
• New exhibit, “Hugh White’s Rent Book An Introspection into Catawba Land Leases” opens July 17 at the fort Mill History Museum, 310 North White Street Fort Mill. Indian Agent Hugh White’s land lease rent book dates back to the late 1700’s & early 1800’s. The book documents and tracks land leases between the Catawba and white settlers in the greater York County area. Call 802-3646 or go to fortmillhistorymuseum.org.
• Drama camp, offered by the Fort Mill Community Playhouse will include different options for youth this summer. Acting camps will be held Aug. 5-9 in the afternoon. Camps are limited to 20 participants for the acting camps and 10 for the technical camp. Registration forms and more detailed information can be found online at fortmillplayhouse.org. Those interested are encouraged to register as soon as possible; camps will be filled on a first come-first served basis.
• Live music, with the Moonshine Racers 6 p.m. Aug. 8, a the Anne Springs Close Greenway Dairy Barn, $3. Free for Greenway members. For more information, call 803-547-4575 or go to ASCGreenway.org.
• Bed Race 2013, sign up now for the United Way of Lancaster County’s fundraiser 4:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 24, on North Main Street. Team entry fee is $100. Register at uwaylcsc.org or call 803-283-8923.
• Fort Mill VFW breakfast, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. the second Sunday of each month. Breakfast costs $6 and includes pancakes, bacon, sausage, fruit and coffee and is open to the public. The VFW is located at 1442 Harris Road, Fort Mill. For information, call 547-5480 or go to www.vfw9138.org.
• Rent a kayak, at the Anne Springs Close Greenway to take out on 28-acre Lake Haigler. $7 for a one-person kayak, $10 for a tandem kayak for 30 minutes. To reserve, call 548-7252.
• Book Clubs for Adults, at the Fort Mill Library. Join other book lovers for a monthly discussion of some great books. Choose the group that best meets your schedule and interests. Call 547-4114 to register.
• Once Upon a Lap, stories, songs, activities and play time for infants and their caregivers will be held at 10 a.m. Mondays at 10 a.m. for pre-walkers (up to 12 months old) and at 11 a.m. for walkers (13- to 24 months old) at Fort Mill Library. Call 547-4114 to register.
Carolina Pilates, offers free Pilates mat classes on the second Saturday of every month at 9 a.m. Space is limited. To reserve a spot, call Terry at 548-8775.
• Yoga classes, at Complete Wellness Chiropractic 6:45 p.m. Thursdays at the Complete Wellness Chiropractic Office as part of the Charlotte Yoga Club. Cost is $5 for club members and $7 for non-members. Call 704-899-5000.
• Summer reading, for adults, Fort Mill Public Library. After reading or listening to three books, adults will be entered into drawings for prizes from local businesses. For details, visit www.yclibrary.org or call the library at 803-547-4114.
Teen Summer Reading Club, for rising sixth-12th graders. The club has an arts theme, “Express Yourself at your Library.” After reading a total of 15 hours, teens will be eligible to enter drawings for prizes from Woody’s Music, GameStop, Best Buy and more. For details, visit www.yclibrary.org or call 803-547-4114.
• Bingo, good eats, at Fort Mill American Legion Post 43. Call 547-2414.
• Preschool story time, 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. Wednesdays at the Fort Mill Public Library. Story time and activities for 3- to 5-year-olds and their caregiver