NFL Notebook

NFL: Bucs lose ex-Tar Heel kicker Connor Barth

Associated PressJuly 17, 2013 

— Tampa Bay Buccaneers kicker Connor Barth will miss the upcoming season with a torn Achilles tendon and the team has signed two-time Super Bowl winner Lawrence Tynes as his replacement.

The Bucs announced Wednesday that Barth was injured last week in his hometown of Wilmington, N.C., and underwent successful surgery on Monday. He will be placed on the non-football injury list.

Barth starred for North Carolina from 2004-2007, making 54 field goals for the Tar Heels. In 2006, he was a perfect 10-for-10.

Tynes is a ninth-year pro who spent the past six seasons with the New York Giants, helping them win NFL titles in 2007 and 2011. He was a Pro Bowl alternate last season.

Barth signed a four-year, $13.2 million contract extension in 2012, when he was designated as the club’s franchise player. Over the past four seasons, he converted a team-record 84.3 percent of his field-goal attempts.

“We are disappointed to lose a productive player like Connor, but are very fortunate to be able to sign an experienced kicker at this time of year,” Bucs general manager Mark Dominik said. “Lawrence and his agent, Ken Harris, had other outstanding opportunities, but we are pleased that they thought this was the right place for Lawrence to continue his career.”

Tynes appeared in 81 games with the Giants, converting 122 of 146 field goals for an 83.6 percent success rate. Both times New York reached the Super Bowl, he kicked game-winning field goals in overtime to win the NFC championship game.

Tynes was second in the NFL in scoring with 145 points last season.

Around the league

Detroit: The Lions released running back Jahvid Best after concussion problems prevented the former first-round draft pick from playing in 2012.

Best hasn’t played since October 2011, and his return was looking increasingly unlikely. Best agreed to a five-year deal with the Lions after they drafted him in 2010, but he played only 22 games.

“Jahvid is as fine a person and professional as I have ever worked with,” Lions general manager Martin Mayhew said. “He was the consummate teammate and always did everything asked of him. We wish Jahvid the very best in all his future endeavors and have no doubt that he will be successful in whatever path he chooses.”

Miami: Mike Dee is going back to his roots to become president and CEO of the San Diego Padres, returning to baseball after four years as CEO of the Dolphins. Dee will remain with the Dolphins for “the next several weeks” while he prepares for the transition to his new role and a return to the franchise with whom he started his career as a sports executive in 1995.

Philadelphia: Eagles left tackle Jason Peters will get nearly $2million in a lawsuit over a rolling walker that he says broke and caused him to reinjure his torn Achilles tendon.

The lawsuit says Peters was using a Roll-A-Bout knee walker in March 2012 when it broke below the handlebar, three weeks after his initial surgery.

Lawyer Michael Trunk says Peters had to endure a second operation because of the setback. He missed the entire season. Trunk says the product was sold for patients weighing up to 500 pounds, while Peters was listed at 340.

Fort Mill Times is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service