A list of fun things to do in our area
Don’t miss this!
Barbecue, baked good and yard sale, Saturday, Aug. 24, at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 Hwy 160 West, Fort Mill. The yard and bake sale will be 7-11:30 a.m. BBQ meals will be sold 11 a.m.-4 p.m. for $9 for an adult plate and $4.50 for a child’s plate. Soft drinks and desserts available for purchase, as well as pork for $12 per pound.
• Tip Big for Charity Night, to benefit The Heart2Heart Foundation 5-10 p.m. Wednesday at the Grapevine Wine Bar on Market Street in Baxter Village. Celebrity Bartenders are 2013 Mrs. South Carolina Strawberry Festival Queen Dana Boutwell, race car driver LeeAnn Shattuck and Shakespeare Carolina’s Jill O’Neill. Go to www.TheHeart2HeartFoundation.org.
• Auditions, The York County Choral Society will hold auditions in the choir room at Westminster Presbyterian Church, 1300 India Hook Road, Rock Hill, 6-9 p.m. Thursday and 5:30-6:45 p.m. Aug. 22. Contact Katherine Kinsey at firstname.lastname@example.org or go to yorkcountychoralsociety.org.
• “Country Grass,” presented by Allison Creek Bluegrass 7-9 p.m. Thursday at Allison Creek Church on Highway 274, Lake Wylie. A free, family friendly event . Doors open at 6 p.m. Concessions open at 6:30. For more information, go to allisoncreekbluegrass.com.
• Bluegrass, Barbecue & Building Festival, 4:30 p.m. Saturday at Covenant Baptist Church in Lancaster to benefit Habitat for Humanity of Lancaster County. Live music, dancing and a home-cooked barbecue dinner with all the fixings. Call Chip Cox at 803-431-7202.
• Auditions, Fort Mill Community Playhouse will hold auditions for its October dinner theater production of “Over the River and Through the Woods” 6:30-8:30 p.m. Sunday and Monday at the Playhouse on Banks Street, Fort Mill. go to email@example.com.
• The Ballroom Dance Club, will hold its monthly dance 7:30 to 10:20 p.m. Saturday in the Oak Room of the Country Club Golf House, 101 Country Club Drive, Fort Mill. Dress code is dressy casual. All adult ages and skill levels are invited for social ballroom dancing to ballroom music by DJ Rich Brausch. Dances are alcohol free and non-alcoholic beverages are provided. Call Bob at 329-5764 or Pat at 980-4000 or firstname.lastname@example.org. For more, go to theballroomdanceclub.com.
• Marti Jones and Don Dixon perform, 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the Community Performance Center, 249 E. Main St., Rock Hill. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased in advance by calling 803-328-2787 or by going to yorkcountyarts.org.
• Adult Crochet Class, 9:15 to 10:45 a.m. at The Fort Mill Branch YMCA now until Sept. 17. Registrants on the advanced level will crochet a Christmas Holly Table Runner. $40 for members and $45 for non-members (supplies not Included). Call 548-8020 to register.
• Farmer’s Market, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, 121 Monroe St., at the corner of Confederate Street, Fort Mill.
• An indoor yard sale, will be held 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 24 in the Fort Mill High School lobby. Items for sale include clothing, books, games, toys, furniture, and other household items. Individuals wishing to purchase an outdoor vendor space may do so for $25. All proceeds benefit the Fort Mill Wrestling Foundation. Contact Mary Ellen Mockridge at email@example.com with any questions.
• Learn about historical board games, noon-5:45 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 24,at the Fort Mill Library in Baxter Village. Games for children 8 and older to adult with a wide variety of eras ranging from the American Revolution to World War II.
• Bed Race 2013, sign up now for the United Way of Lancaster County’s fundraiser 4:30 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 24, on North Main Street. Team entry fee is $100. Register at uwaylcsc.org or call 803-283-8923.
• Live music, seven local bands will pay tribute to the late musician Dave Fugman and benefit the American Diabetes Association at a memorial concert 2-10 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 7, hosted by The Trap bar and grill, 1923 Westinghouse Blvd., Charlotte. Admission is $10 per person, $15 per couple. Food and beverages will be available. For more information, contact John Haldenwang at 951-837-0008.
• Rent a kayak at the Anne Springs Close Greenway to take out on 28-acre Lake Haigler. $7 for a one-person kayak, $10 for a tandem kayak for 30 minutes. To reserve, call 548-7252.
• New exhibit, thanks to W.B. (Jake) Ardrey’s quick thinking, photographs, scrapbooks and speeches from 1916-1934 are on public display at Fort Mill History Museum. Most of the letters and scrapbook information detail the brave sacrifice of Fort Mill National Guard soldiers who served in France and Belgium during the latter years of World War I. Call 802-3646 or go to fortmillhistorymuseum.org.
• Preschool Story Time and activities, for 3- to 5-year-olds and their caregivers will be held on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m. or Wednesdays at 10 and 11 a.m. at the Del Web Library in Indian Land. No registration is required.
• Book Clubs for Adults, at the Fort Mill Library. Join other book lovers for a monthly discussion of some great books. Choose the group that best meets your schedule and interests. Call 547-4114 to register.
• Once Upon a Lap, stories, songs, activities and play time for infants and their caregivers will be held at 10 a.m. Mondays at 10 a.m. for pre-walkers (up to 12 months old) and at 11 a.m. for walkers (13- to 24 months old) at Fort Mill Library. Call 547-4114 to register.
• Yoga classes, at Complete Wellness Chiropractic 6:45 p.m. Thursdays at the Complete Wellness Chiropractic Office as part of the Charlotte Yoga Club. Cost is $5 for club members and $7 for non-members. Call 704-899-5000.
• Bingo, good eats, at Fort Mill American Legion Post 43. Call 547-2414.
• Preschool story time, 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. Wednesdays at the Fort Mill Public Library. Story time and activities for 3- to 5-year-olds and their caregivers.