A list of fun things to do in our area
Don’t miss this!
• Tailgate theme auction, the Fort Mill Rotary Club’s annual auction 6 p.m. Friday, Oct. 11, at the Dairy Barn, 250 Dairy Barn Lane, Fort Mill. Food, beverages and FANtastic auction items. All proceeds help local organizations.
• Fall Frolic, every October weekend at the Anne Springs Close Greenway. Features horse and wagon rides, corn maze and popular pumpkin patch, plus visitors can kayak on Lake Haigler or mine for gems in Steele Creek. Amid vivid fall color, children can make their own fun climbing hay bales, cheering duck races, digging through a corn crib, and riding pedal carts or the “cow train.” Festivities run 10 a.m.-6 p.m. on Saturdays, and 1-6 p.m. on Sundays. Sponsored in part by Carolinas Healthcare System, the festival entry fee is $12, $8 for Greenway members. Children age 4 and under free.
• Farmer’s Market, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, 121 Monroe St., at the corner of Confederate Street, Fort Mill.
The Tega Cay Beautification Committee, will hold a workday at the Living Memorial Garden on 9 to 11 am. Tuesday, Oct. 15. New members and volunteers are needed. For information, email email@example.com or call 704-287-7432.
• Live theatre, “Over the River and Through the Woods” Oct. 17-26 at the Fort Mill Community Playhouse, 615 Banks St., Fort Mill, including several dinner-theater dates. More information, including a cast list and complete menu, got to www.fortmillplayhouse.org.
• Arts and Crafts Fair, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 19, at Grace Presbyterian Church, 2955 Hwy. 160 West, Fort Mill. For a vendor application, call the church office at 548-0800. The vendor fee is $50 and applications must be received by Oct. 6. All items must be original and hand-crafted – no resale items.
• Oktoberfest, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 19, at St. John’s United Methodist Church, 130 Tom Hall St., Fort Mill. Hosted by United Methodist Women and United Methodist Men. Bake sale, stew sale (eat in/take out), BBQ, hot dogs, vendors, silent auction, children’s activities, crafts, pumpkins and more. Free admission. Proceeds benefit local and global missions,
• Fall Festival, 3 to 7 p.m. Oct. 26 at Osceola UMC, 6575 Charlotte Hwy., just south of Indian Land. Music by the Hinson Girls and a performance by the Sun City Cloggers. Games, food, prizes and Trunk or Treat at 6:30.
• Fifth annual Van Wyck Community Development Club Christmas Parade and Candy Toss, noon, Saturday, Dec. 7, in front of Van Wyck Christmas Post Office at the corner of Old Hickory and Steele Hill Roads. It ends at the Van Wyck Community Center, where Santa will on the Van Wyck Fire Dept. truck. To sign up a float, see Betty George at the Post Office or contact Pat Oglesby at 803-285-8196 or firstname.lastname@example.org by Nov. 25.
• “ Lighting of the Way,” 4:30 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 8, at the Van Wyck Post Office.
• Rent a kayak, at the Anne Springs Close Greenway to take out on 28-acre Lake Haigler. $7 for a one-person kayak, $10 for a tandem kayak for 30 minutes. To reserve, call 548-7252.
• Bingo, good eats, at Fort Mill American Legion Post 43. Call 547-2414.
• Fort Mill VFW Monthly Breakfast, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. the second Sunday of each month Sunday in the VFW Hall, 1442 Harris Road, Fort Mill. Coffee, scrambled eggs, grits, sausage, bacon, hash browns, biscuits, fruit and hot cakes for $6. Open to the public and family-friendly.
• Preschool Story Time and activities, for 3- to 5-year-olds and their caregivers will be held on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m. or Wednesdays at 10 and 11 a.m. at the Del Web Library in Indian Land. No registration is required.
• Book Clubs for Adults, at the Fort Mill Library. Join other book lovers for a monthly discussion of some great books. Choose the group that best meets your schedule and interests. Call 547-4114 to register.
• Yoga classes, at Complete Wellness Chiropractic 6:45 p.m. Thursdays at the Complete Wellness Chiropractic Office as part of the Charlotte Yoga Club. Cost is $5 for club members and $7 for non-members. Call 704-899-5000.
• Summer reading, for adults, Fort Mill Public Library. After reading or listening to three books, adults will be entered into drawings for prizes from local businesses. For details, visit www.yclibrary.org or call the library at 547-4114.
• Preschool story time, 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. Wednesdays at the Fort Mill Public Library. Story time and activities for 3- to 5-year-olds and their caregivers.
Email your events to email@example.com.