Victim in Tega Cay DUI car crash: ’I lost my car, health’

mharrison@fortmilltimes.comNovember 4, 2013 

— A Charlotte man who police list was one of the victims of an allegedly drunken driver who crashed several times on city streets before being stopped, said he is suffering from nightmares because of the crash.

“I’ve never been sick before or anything,” said Kiful Kelbessa, 47, nearly a week after the incident that he said left him physically injured as well.

“The big problem is nightmares,” he said. “I can’t stop thinking about that day,”

Police said David Lee Rogers, 26, is accused of being drunk when a Kia minivan he was driving struck Kelbessa’s Towncar on Windward Drive at around 2 p.m. Oct. 26.

Rogers, who faces attempted murder and eight other charges, then left the scene in the Kia, police said, and soon crashed into another vehicle on Marquesas Drive before colliding with a tree and a street sign. Meanwhile, an off-duty S.C. Hwy. Patrol officer who reported seeing Rogers driving erratically, followed the Kia and pevented Rogers from leaving the scene.

Kelbessa, a Charlotte resident, said he was on the way to pick up a friend in Tega Cay when the accident occurred.

“I hear people screaming and I said to myself ‘maybe this guy is driving very fast’ and I think something is wrong,” Kelbessa said.

He said he “almost lost consciousness” after his car was struck on the driver’s side and badly damaged and that he suffered several injuries.

“I have had neck surgery about 10 years ago and I feel pain on that and I’m a little bit numb. I lost my car and now I lost my health,” Kelbessa said.

After he was stopped, Rogers grappled with the trooper, identified as Chuck Ross, according to a police report. Ross drew a gun and kept Rogers there until Tega Cay City Police arrived.

Police are relieved it wasn’t worse.

“[Ross] stopped the guy before any further injury could occur and we’re grateful to him for that,” Capt. David Nelson, spokesman for the Tega Cay Police Dept., said about the trooper.

“It could have have been a lot worse.”

Nelson also praised the TCPD officers who responded soon after Rogers was stopped.

“They handled it properly and professionally and we’re proud of that,” Nelson said. “My officers did a fabulous job.”

The other charges – there are nine in all – range from leaving the scene of an accident and DUI to resisting arrest and unlawful carrying of a weapon. The latter charge resulted after police said they found a gun in Rogers’ vehicle. As of Thursday afternoon he was still being held in the York County Detention Center under $185,000 bond.

Fort Mill Times is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service