• The Rev. Raymond L. Phillips Sr., rector of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, Pine Street, Fort Mill, celebrated 30 years of priesthood.
• Several parents said they were frustrated after a special meeting of the Fort Mill School Board to discuss rezoning of Fort Mill elementary school attendance zones.
• James Kimbrell, Fort Mill, retired as vice president of NationBank’s Fort Mill office. Kimbrell started with the Bank of Fort Mill in 1959 as a bookkeeper.
• Indian Land’s Lady Warriors basketball team opened the season with a 49-41 victory against Andrew Jackson. The boys fell to the Volunteers 78-54.
• Several thousand parade watchers lined the parade route as Fort Mill welcomed Santa Claus to town with the Fort Mill Christmas Parade.
• Carowinds announced that the amusement park had a successful opening season as 1,350,000 visitors entered the park.
• Indian Land’s Warriors split their season opener with the Hickory Grove Cardinals. The girls won 32-27 while the boys lost 42-39.
• Tena Cornwell, Windy Honeycutt, Mark and Teresa Lundy and Melissa Therrell were featured in the Fort Mill Young Citizens section.
• Miss Joanne Arnold was crowned “Miss Fort Mill of 1954” in the beauty contest held at Memorial Stadium. Two days earlier, Miss Arnold was runner up in the Charlotte Carrousel Princess pageant.
• Mike Hill and Dianne Dobbins were named Tiny King and Queen of the Fort Mill Christmas Parade. They rode with Santa in the parade which attracted 7,000 viewers.
• Friends of J. M. Gamble, Fort Mill Chief of Police, were pleased to learn that he was improving after a serious illness.
• Dr. David Lyle, in his fourth race for the office, was nominated mayor of Rock Hill. Lyle defeated the incumbent mayor, Herbert M. Dunlap.
• The Rev. S. P. Hair of the Fort Mill Baptist Church had been confined to his home on Spratt Street for several days.
• Misses Kathleen Wilkes and Helen Tolbert, two attractive young ladies from Winthrop College, spent two days with Miss Lana Parks in this city.
Compiled by Chip Heemsoth, a lifelong resident of Fort Mill.