• Holiday sugar detox, new weight-loss program at the Baxter YMCA begins Jan. 16. To register, visit the YMCA or call Carol at 336-434-4545.
• Our Natural World Book Club, discuss “Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child” by Bob Spitz 3 p.m. Jan. 16. Call 547-4114 to register.
• Minion Mayhem, kids in kindergarten to second grade can learn the Banana language and join in the Minion dance and games 3:30-4:30 p.m. Jan. 16, at the Fort Mill Library. Call 547-4114 to register.
• Jacket Dynasty Dance Camp, for ages 6-14 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Jan. 17, at the Fort Mill High School dance room (in the annex). The camp will conclude with all camp attendees performing on-court with the Fort Mill High Dance Team during halftime of the Fort Mill varsity girls’ and boys’ basketball games on Jan 21. The cost is $35. For more information, email head coach Liz Dukes at email@example.com.
• The 2014 “Southern Sound Series,” kicks off Jan. 17 with the Steep Canyon Rangers, one of four Grammy winners to take the stage at the Culture & Heritage Museum’s Lowry Family Theater at the McCelvey Center. In 2013, the band’s album, “Nobody Knows You,” won a Grammy for best bluegrass album. Season tickets are $72 for members and $90 for nonmembers and will be offered through Jan. 17. Individual tickets are $20, members, and $25, nonmembers. Call 803-909-7313.
• Jessy Carolina & The Hot Mess, a New York City-based blues and jazz ensemble, will perform 7:30 p.m. Jan. 18 at the Community Performance Center, 249 E. Main St., Rock Hill. Doors open at 7 p.m. Tickets are $20 for Arts Council of York County members, $25 general admission. Tickets are $30 at the door. For more information, call the Arts Council of York County at 803-328-2787, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit yorkcountyarts.org.
• Affordable Care Act: Questions and Answers, 1 p.m. Jan. 23, at the Fort Mill Library. A certified application counselor will explain the Affordable Care Act, who qualifies, and how to use the Health Insurance Marketplace to find coverage. Those who already have insurance and just want to learn more are also invited to attend. Call 547-4114 to register.
• Learn to Use Your E-reader, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Jan. 24, at the Fort Mill Library. Did you receive a Kindle, Nook or other e-reader device this holiday season, but aren’t sure how to download a book? Bring your device and your laptop, if you have one, and get help from experienced staff. Make sure your device is fully-charged and bring all necessary cables and passwords. Call 547-4114 to register.
• Book sale, Jan. 23-24 for Friends of the York County Library at the Oratory, 434 Charlotte Ave., Rock Hill. Thousands of books for all ages will be sold at $2 per inch, measuring the height of the book stack. Videos, DVDs, and audiobooks will also be available at bargain prices. For more information, call 803-981-5837 or go to www.yclibrary.org.
• California Dreaming, 9 p.m. Jan. 28, Clover School District Auditorium, 1625 Hwy. 55 E., Clover. A dance tribute to an era that introduced the world to the good vibrations of love, peace and summertime fun. Tickets: $15. Call 803-222-8018 or go to clover.k12.sc.us.
• Free gardening class, hosted by the Tega Cay Beautification Committee 6:45 p.m. Jan., 27 at the Glennon Community Center at 15083 Molokai Drive, Tega Cay. This month’s topic is “Crape Myrtle Pruning.” Everyone is invited, no matter where you reside. Light refreshments will be served. For more information, email email@example.com or call Kline at 704-287-7432.
• Dancing With the Stars Fort Mill, 7 p.m. Feb. 22 at the Glennon Community Center in Tega Cay. Tickets for $100 include dinner; $50 for show-only. All proceeds help fund local middle school sports. For tickets and more information, go to fortmillathletics.–com.
• Exhibit, “The First Carolinians: The Life & Times of the First Cultures in the Palmetto State,” through March 1, Fort Mill History Museum, 310 N. White St., Fort Mill. Call 802-3646 or go to fortmillhistorymuseum.org.
• Exhibit, “Bearing Witness: The New York Photo League and Sonia Handelman Meyer,” through June 29, Mint Museum Randolph, 2730 Randolph Road, Charlotte. Made up of about 100 photographs from Photo League members.
• Rent a kayak, at the Anne Springs Close Greenway to take out on 28-acre Lake Haigler. $7 for a one-person kayak, $10 for a tandem kayak for 30 minutes. To reserve, call 548-7252.
• Bingo, hot food, at Fort Mill American Legion Post 43. Call 547-2414.
• Fort Mill VFW Monthly Breakfast, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. the second Sunday of each month Sunday in the VFW Hall, 1442 Harris Road, Fort Mill. Coffee, scrambled eggs, grits, sausage, bacon, hash browns, biscuits, fruit and hot cakes for $6. Open to the public and family-friendly.
• Preschool Story Time and activities, for 3- to 5-year-olds and their caregivers will be held on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m. or Wednesdays at 10 and 11 a.m. at the Del Web Library in Indian Land. No registration is required.
• Book Clubs for Adults, at the Fort Mill Library. Join other book lovers for a monthly discussion of some great books. Choose the group that best meets your schedule and interests. Call 547-4114 to register.
• Yoga classes, at Complete Wellness Chiropractic, 6:45 p.m. Thursdays at the Complete Wellness Chiropractic Office as part of the Charlotte Yoga Club. Cost is $5 for club members and $7 for nonmembers. Call 704-899-5000.
• Preschool story time, 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays and 10 a.m. and 11 a.m. Wednesdays at the Fort Mill Public Library. Story time and activities for 3- to 5-year-olds and their caregivers.
Email your events to firstname.lastname@example.org.