Fort Mill Police officer’s Taser misfires, but suspect chased down

cwhite@fortmilltimes.comApril 30, 2014 

Martez Lamar Williams

— A Fort Mill police officer who tried to use his stun gun to subdue an allegedly intoxicated man at Love’s Truck Stop had to chase the suspect, according to a police report.

Officers responded to a call from Love’s at 11:17 p.m. April 26 that a man “was grossly intoxicated and harassing other truck drivers in the parking lot,” the report states. When officer Judd Baird arrived, he was flagged down by a witness who pointed out the suspect, Martez Lamar Williams, 25, of Jackson, Miss. According to the report, the officer smelled alcohol coming from the Williams, although Williams told the officer he was not drinking.

Baird told Williams he was under arrest for public disorderly conduct before Williams allegedly pulled away from the officer and “assumed an aggressive stance,” according to the report. The officer drew his Taser and directed it at Williams, but the stun would not discharge, the report states. Baird said Williams fled, but was found lying in thick brush.

After Williams was placed in handcuffs, he became uncooperative while officers were trying to get him into a patrol car.

Police say that when they searched Williams they found a black, gun-shaped knife worn as a pendant on a necklace and a metal “knuckle knife,” the report states.

Williams was charged with public disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and possession of an unlawful weapon, according to the report. After being partially booked at the Fort Mill Police Department, officers discovered that Williams was a wanted fugitive in Mississippi. Fort Mill police placed a hold on Williams for the Mississippi Department of Correction. He was later transferred to the York County Sheriff’s Office. Bond was set at $3,560.

Neighbor threatens kids

Fort Mill police responded to a call on Anderson Street, where a resident complained on April 16 that a neighbor walked onto her property with a baseball bat and threatened kids who were playing in her front yard, a report states.

The man did not make physical contact with the victims, who did not intend to pursue charges because the man dealt with “mental issues,” according to the report. Police contacted the suspect who said he was confused and was going to harm someone with the bat but when he realized they were just kids playing, he went back to his home. The suspect told police he was prescribed medication, but that he hasn’t taken it for a long time.

The man was not arrested, but the reporting officer issued a notice of trespass to the suspect.

Cars burglarized

Someone removed a Fort Mill School District GPS and laptop computer from a car parked at a Nims Spring Drive home April 20.

The owner of the vehicle told Fort Mill police that the Dell laptop, used by his wife for work, was valued at $2,500 and the Garmin GPS was worth $100. The car’s owner told police it had been left unlocked.

No suspects have been identified, but according to the report two other vehicles in the area were also entered during the same time.

Fort Mill Times is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service